Friday, January 23, 2009

A rough day

My plan today was to get the MAYSIs done (assessments to determine AOD, anger, depression, and such problems) and lock myself in my office to catch up on paperwork.  That didn't happen.  I only got 1 hour of catching up done.  B4, a very emotional child, needed attention as he always does.  At least there was no crying today.  (I don't deal well with crying.)  And I think he only apologized about three times today (MUCH less than normal--the apologizing really gets on your nerves he does it so much).  Today was day 84 for him, so he has been wearing on me.  I really wish he was not on B pod, just so he didn't have the urge to come in my office every time he noticed I was there.  I just can't tell them "no."  It is a goal of mine to say it more.  

A10, a GED youth, went to court today.  He has been in for almost 300 days.  He finally got permed.  He got 4 years, 3 years mandatory but already has close to a year served.  He is a really good kid.  He is always respectful to staff as well as his parents every time I get him to call home.  He is honest and hard working.  (Yes, honest.  He may be a criminal, but at least he is an honest criminal.  His big concern the last month has been that his mom would try to cover for him to get him off.  He kept telling her to tell the truth.  He understood what it meant, but he didn't want any lies.)  I spent some time talking to him when he came back from court.  His sister had called me to see what had happened so that was my excuse to get out of the room before I started crying myself.  But that did not good, I was close to tears again when I called her back and told her the results and update her on how he was doing.  

C8 is not coping too well.  He is also one of my GED kids.  He's been in the class since February.  He is about to have his 2nd bday since being locked up.  Then he goes to court week after next.  He is giving up and I don't know how much longer he can hold up.  Being with 11 other boys day in and day out is getting to him and it is getting harder and harder for him to keep from fighting.  I really hope he can get through the weekend without fighting.


No comments:

Post a Comment